Did you know the process of goal achievement is an exact science?
It’s as simple and guaranteed as 2 + 2 = 4!
You have a machine that is programmed for success, but you may not know how it works.
“Man is not a machine, but man has a machine!” says Maxwell Maltz, author of Psycho-Cybernetics. Let’s dig deeper into this… and how this machine works!
If you just figure out how to operate the machine you can achieve any goal you set.
In his bestselling book, Psycho-Cybernetics, Maxwell Maltz explains his discovery that your mind is a like a servo-mechanism and it’s designed to seek and find a target, much like a torpedo or a missile or a rocket. He also discovered that we are programmed similar to a thermostat and our programming limits our potential.
You can’t outperform your own self-image! It doesn’t matter how hard you try; no amount of willpower will overcome your programming. Sure, you may see temporary improvements but you always end up sticking to your default program.
That applies to your weight, your income, your diet, everything!
So . . . how do you reprogram yourself?
If you want to hit your goals you need to do 2 things:
- Understand how “the machine” works (your mind)
- Change the programming
There are 5 things you need to know about how your machine (your mind) works.
- It is designed to find a known target (goal) or discover a target. So your job is to provide the target. Your goal must be crystal clear and written out in the present tense as if you have already achieved it and your description must be defined with laser like focus.
- Your mind is tele-logical which means it is designed to figure the ways and means to accomplish the goal. Your job is to provide the target and your mind will figure out “how” to hit the target. You don’t have to worry about all the steps along the way. Your mind will figure it out as you go. Just get started!
- You will fail your way to the goal. Like a torpedo, you will learn by failing and literally fail your way to the goal. Failure is learning, there is nothing wrong with failing. You only truly fail if you quit.
- You will make many attempts to hit the goal and once you have found the successful move, you mind will remember it and forget the failures.
- Lastly and most important, your job is to not jam up the mechanism. Don’t make the machine work, let it work. You can easily jam it up with worry, doubt and fear!
Once you understand that there is a science to goal achievement you can relax knowing the machine (your mind) will do the work and hit your target . . . guaranteed!
The other thing you need to do is re-program yourself for success by creating an image of the person you need to be that is in harmony with the person you want to become.
Goals should be written in the present tense – your subconscious mind only understands NOW.
With that in mind, here is a model to use when writing your goal.
- Start by writing this out on a goal card (print out the image attached) – “I am so happy and grateful now that … (end the sentence with your goal written in the present tense).”
- Write it on your goal card and carry it with you!
- Then, every time you touch the goal card and read it, a message is received by your brain with the image you created when you wrote out the goal card. Every time you touch your goal card you are flashing the picture on the screen of your mind and reinforcing that goal, making it real.
- If you do that and then read your goal and your new program every day, twice a day for the next 30 days, you will be blown away by what happens.
It takes 21 – 30 days to form new habits. You always act on what you believe about yourself, this means if you re-program your mind with your new goal and new image you will start to act like the person you want to become.
Let the machine do its work!